Flannel Jammies Farm

...praising God on our 1/5 acre of suburbia

Sunday, September 11, 2011

He's Got This...

Today these words were presented in the Sunday School hour... precious words from Scripture... words given to me as a gift...

The Wind Ran Out of Breath  
Mark 4:35-41 (The Message)
 35-38Late that day he said to them, "Let's go across to the other side." 
They took him in the boat as he was. Other boats came along. 
A huge storm came up. Waves poured into the boat, threatening to sink it. 
And Jesus was in the stern, head on a pillow, sleeping! 
They roused him, saying, "Teacher, is it nothing to you that we're going down?"
 39-40Awake now, he told the wind to pipe down and said to the sea, 
"Quiet! Settle down!" 
The wind ran out of breath; the sea became smooth as glass. 
Jesus reprimanded the disciples: 
"Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith at all?"
 41They were in absolute awe, staggered. "Who is this, anyway?" they asked. 
"Wind and sea at his beck and call!" 

Jesus, in the boat WITH THEM, in the midst of the storm, sleeping soundly, at peace.  Frightened followers wake Him, surprised that He is not fearing for their safety.  

But Jesus KNOWS.  He knows their trouble, He knows their distress, He is there with them.  

And Jesus is, as always, IN CONTROL.  He calms the seas for the benefit of His followers, He calms their fears, He calms their hearts.

In the midst of my storms, large and small, Jesus calls to me from Scripture, "I've got this."

Even when the winds continue to blow and the rains soak me to the bone and it seems I might sink, I will trust that He's got this, even this.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Amen Donna Rae, even when it seems like we're so far under the water that we can't quite make it to the surface to breathe – even then – we're in his hands. I heart that story – I heart how you applied it to your life. I notice you haven't posted for a while – and I hope that's only because you're busy – because I heart reading you. I've been gone a bit myself - from the last post Sara wrote in August, and the subsequent posts by her friends, I could read the handwriting on the wall. I've been thinking only of her, and reading only her blog. And now Sara has gone home to be with God and I’m now just beginning to breathe again and starting to get back to reading the blogs I heart – and I heart YOURS! God bless and keep you and all of yours, Donna Rae.