Flannel Jammies Farm

...praising God on our 1/5 acre of suburbia

Friday, February 26, 2010

A Fork in the Road

I always wondered about that saying, "A fork in the road," and what it would look like if a giant fork was in the middle of the road, its tines firmly planted in the ground.  I know, I know... the phrase means a point where the road splits off in two different directions and we must choose one.  But to me, that "choosing" feels like a giant fork obstructing my path.  It looms overhead, stressing me, shadowing my convictions.  What if I make the wrong choice?  What if I missed the sign telling me which road to take?  What if I really like the look of the wide, paved road and not the narrow, stony path that meanders off to one side?  My own inability to trust, without anxiety, and choose the path I KNOW God has laid before me, is like that giant fork... it stops me dead in my tracks, and I hang my head.

That's when I have to back up, take a deep breath, and pray.  God is showing me the right path.  He's laid it out clearly for me.   

I am told, "Be anxious for nothing" (Phil. 4:6), that "Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression" (Prov. 12:25).  I know from His word that He has plans for my good, that He knows all my days, that He loves me dearly.  He Loves Me.  He Is There For Me.  He Has Prepared Me My Whole Life For This New Path.

I raise my head, a smile just beginning, to look again at the giant fork roadblock, and *poof*, it has disappeared, a soft light shining on the already-chosen path.

No comments: