Flannel Jammies Farm

...praising God on our 1/5 acre of suburbia

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What if...

In my study last night, my weary eyes scanned a verse I know they have scanned before:

"Teach me Your way, O Lord, 
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear your name."
Psalm 86:11

UNITE MY HEART.  The words rose from the fragile page and gripped me.  UNITE MY HEART.

My heart can be so divided, so impure, so scattered.  My day is filled with household duties, constant health monitoring, obligations to work and friends and church, passions for family and farming and local food and art, time sacrificed to television and Facebook and blogs.  The divisions are endless.  Each one in a separate little compartment of my heart, leaving little room for the the walk.

The walk: studying the Word, praising Jesus, praying for others (and myself!), listening to wise biblical teachers, being still before my Holy God. 

mosaic tile formed from the broken pieces of a treasure

But WHAT IF I practiced what I know and what I 'preach'?  WHAT IF all those divisions, those pieces of my day, were surrendered to the Holy Spirit for direction along the walk?  WHAT IF each little compartment was given as a gift of service to my Lord along the way?  WHAT IF I would allow God to UNITE MY HEART?  It is His work, His teaching... I need only to walk in His truth.  He has given me, in this small verse, a glimpse of the infinite impossibilities that await before my daily, moment-by-moment united heart, given completely to Him.  Praise be.