Flannel Jammies Farm

...praising God on our 1/5 acre of suburbia

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Garden To-Doings...


"Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent 
as a sunny spring day."  
~W. Earl Hall

I lose time in the garden.  My shoulders mysteriously become detached from my earlobes and fall into their normal position.  My jaw releases and a silly smile plays on my lips.  My heart slows and my breathing becomes deeper.  The stress, the challenges, the brokenness fall away as I putter and chat softly with the Vinedresser.  It is quiet time perfection for me.

Yesterday's garden 'chapel time' revealed such sweet surprises...
Early Girls coming along nicely

Upside Down Tomato - no need for a special planting device; an old pot will do to amaze the neighbors

Cherry Tomatoes in bright clusters

More Tomatoes!!!
Tiny Yellow Squash

More Yellow Squash
Peppers Blooming

More Peppers
Joi Choi... great in stir fry!

Zucchini and Onions

Strawberries... most of the ripe ones were picked and eaten by neighborhood children who climbed the fence into the garden.  I think they see our garden as a glorious green wonderland!

And finally, my favorite flower, the white rose
We have so many other goodies: herbs and eggplant and still some asparagus and greens and ... well, you see where I'm going with this.

We're continuing to add compost and grass clippings to the beds to nourish and keep moisture in while suppressing weeds.  The flowers are blooming all around, bringing bees and butterflies and even a hummingbird to the garden.  Scarlett, of course, checks the garden progress several times a day, chasing any squirrels or bunnies stopping by for a snack.  It is tiring work for her!

Thanks for visiting... come through the gate anytime, or just climb the fence like the neighborhood small people do!

No comments: