Flannel Jammies Farm

...praising God on our 1/5 acre of suburbia

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thinking About Shortness of Breath...

There's a hidden side to Flannel Jammies Farm.  There is unwellness here, progressing disease, robbing my mother of her very breath.  Mom is weak, winded with the slightest activity, sometimes confused and often frustrated, and unable to work as she is so used to doing, keeping everything bright, spotless, and running smoothly for all of us.  She was back in the emergency room this week, terribly short of breath. 

I cannot know the feeling.  It has only happened to me once or twice in my life.  My mother lives this way, laboring over each breath, her body unable to make the needed oxygen exchange.  I cannot know, I cannot imagine. 

But is that really true?  What about the times that I am 'breathless' in my spiritual walk? 

The Creator made a world filled with living creatures, bones and muscles and miraculous inner workings, by the word of His BREATH.

By the word of the LORD the heavens were made,
And all the host of them by the breath of His mouth.
Psalm 33:6

The Creator made man.  But it wasn't until He gave His BREATH that man was made alive.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, 
and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; 
and man became a living being.
Genesis 2:7

Ezekiel tells of dry bones being brought to life by the BREATH.  The Spirit, wind or BREATH, controlled the waters in the Old Testament, filled believers in the New Testament, and gives comfort and illumination and guidance today.  The Word is filled with such references.

When I don't have make time to study the Word and to pray, I become breathless.  When I walk in disobedience to my loving Father's commands, I become breathless.  When I tear down one of God's own with careless and hurtful words, I become breathless. 

This form of breathlessness leaves me stressed, struggling, twisting in God's arms in confusion and anger.  This form of breathlessness leaves me weak, unable to function at a normal level and easily 'winded'.  This form of breathlessness renders me useless for His good work, prepared just for me.  Maybe I can, in this way, try to understand Mom's shortness of breath.

I pray that I will stay close to the Breath-giver, being filled with His Word, molded by His will.  I pray that He will give me tenderness and compassion, that He will use me to comfort and care for the breathless.  

Breathe on me, Breath of God, 
fill me with life anew, 
that I may love what thou dost love, 
and do what thou wouldst do. 

1 comment:

Tidy Brown Wren said...

This is a beautiful post, Donna. Thank you for the reminder. My prayers are with you and your family as you help your mother.